Celebrity weddings are often noteworthy affairs — two public figures tying the knot is bound to have everyone talking. Plus, these events usually consist of some interesting BTS facts.
HBO / Via giphy.com
For example, Beyoncé’s
mom, Tina Knowles, who made many epic outfits as the costume designer of Destiny’s Child, created Beyoncé’s wedding dress for her and Jay-Z’s 2008 nuptials.
Various other Hollywood marriage ceremonies contain details that I won’t soon forget. Here are 22 interesting facts about the nuptials of some top celeb couples.
1. David and Victoria Beckham were reportedly influenced by a Disney animated film while planning their 1999 wedding.
Hello! Magazine wrote that David and Victoria went with a purple, green and burgundy color scheme as a nod to Disney’s 1973 film, Robin Hood. Darren Gerrish / WireImage for White Company / Getty Images
2. Ariana Grande wore mismatched diamond and pearl Lorraine Schwartz earrings with a special meaning for her 2021 wedding to Dalton Gomez.
3. One of Priyanka Chopra’s dresses for her 2018 wedding to Nick Jonas was embellished with millions of sequins.
4. Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher exchanged $90 and $100 wedding bands when they tied the knot in 2015.
revealed on in 2016 that Ashton bought her a “stunning” engagement ring, but the wedding bands she chose for their nuptials were simpler in taste. Both were from Etsy; Mila’s band cost $90, while Ashton’s was $100. Conan
“I wanted the thinnest possible platinum band,” Mila said. “I went on Etsy and was like, ‘$90? … Buy now.'”
David Livingston / FilmMagic / Getty Images
5. Jay-Z and Beyoncé’s wedding venue was adorned with 70,000 white orchids.
The white dendrobium orchids, which are Beyoncé’s favorite flowers, were brought in from Thailand for the 2008 wedding ceremony.
Kevin Mazur / Getty Images for Sean Combs
6. Kim Kardashian and Kanye West’s 2014 wedding included a 224-foot marble table where guests sat and viewed the skyline of Florence, Italy.
7. The bouquet Meghan Markle carried when she married Prince Harry in 2018 had flowers that Harry himself picked.
Flowers in the bouquet were handpicked by Harry at a private Kensington Palace garden. Some of these flowers were forget-me-nots, Princess Diana’s favorites, in honor of the late royal.
Ben Birchall / AFP via Getty Images
8. Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie’s wedding outfits both included contributions from their kids.
Angelina’s wedding dress and veil were created with the help of the late Versace tailor, Luigi Massi. Luigi sewed in “dozens of designs” that were hand-drawn by her and Brad’s kids, per
After Brad forgot to pack the tie he planned to wear for the 2014 nuptials, he borrowed a tie from one of his sons and wore it instead.
The marriage ended when
Angelina filed for divorce in 2016. Frank Trapper / Corbis via Getty Images
The ring Arthur presented to Marilyn on their wedding day was borrowed from his mother. Three days after their nuptials, a new wedding band he bought for Marilyn was inscribed with the message, “A to M, June 1956. Now is forever.”
After five years of marriage,
the pair divorced in 1961. Bettmann / Bettmann/CORBIS / Getty Images
10. Nicole Richie and Joel Madden’s wedding featured a live elephant.
Nicole said on
Larry King Live! in 2005 , via Us Weekly, that she wanted “a very, very big wedding” with “hundreds of people and elephants.” She explained that she wanted an elephant present “because elephants are really good luck, and they’re beautiful animals.”
When the TV star and fashion mogul married Joel Madden in 2010, she followed through on these plans. On the day of their nuptials, an elephant was seen at Lionel Richie’s home, which is where the ceremony took place.
Frazer Harrison / Getty Images
11. Alexis Ohanian surprised Serena Williams with a carousel during their 2017 fairy tale wedding.
12. Katie Holmes’ wedding to Tom Cruise was literally her childhood wish fulfillment.
Katie told Seventeen Magazine in 2004 that she “used to think [she] was going to marry Tom Cruise” as a young girl.
By April 2005, her dream was on its way to coming true when the two made their first public outing as a couple. They married during a $3 million ceremony in 2006 and divorced six years later. Wireimage House / WireImage / Getty Imagese
13. Sabrina Dhowre Elba’s wedding train was embroidered with a tattoo of her husband’s, Idris Elba.
The tent was also larger than Michael’s own home — his house takes up 35,000 square feet, while the tent totaled 40,000 square feet.
Jamie Mccarthy / Getty Images for Cincoro
15. Samira Wiley and Lauren Morelli chose a Funfetti theme for their 2017 wedding.
“My favorite detail from that wedding turned into confetti everywhere,” Samira
told The Knot of this theme. “We had a confetti cannon … It shoots thousands of pieces of confetti right after the beat drops. It’s amazing.” Jason Laveris / FilmMagic / Getty Images
16. Keanu Reeves traveled by motorcycle to Robert Downey Jr.’s 2005 wedding to producer Susan Levin.
Guests of the event, which took place on Long Island, New York, also included Sting and Billy Joel.
Wireimage House / WireImage / Getty Images, Jun Sato / WireImage / Getty Images,
17. Sarah Jessica Parker went the unconventional route and wore a black dress when she married Matthew Broderick in 1997.
told Marie Claire in 2006 that she chose to wear a black dress for her wedding so she wouldn’t attract as much attention to herself. She later wished she’d worn a traditional white dress instead.
“I wore black on my wedding day, and I really regret that. I was too embarrassed to get married in white, and both Matthew and I were reluctant to have people pay so much attention to us,” Sarah Jessica said. “Which is ridiculous, because that’s when you can relish the attention, when it’s natural. We treated it like it was a big party on a Monday night, and I regret it.”
Steve Granitz / WireImage / Getty Images
18. Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka’s son served as the “orange boy” for their big day.
19. Julia Roberts walked down the aisle barefoot when she tied the knot with her first husband, Lyle Lovett.
Pretty Woman star opted for an understated Commes des Garçons white dress for the 1993 nuptials, which People reported occurred after a whirlwind romance of “three or four weeks.”
The marriage later
ended in 1995. Julia went on to marry cinematographer Daniel Moder in 2002, while Lyle married April Kimble in 2017. Ron Galella, Ltd. / Ron Galella Collection via Getty Images
20. Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker had rotating three tier cakes at each table for their 2022 wedding ceremony in Portofino, Italy.
The wedding had numerous other extravagant details, such as a live performance of “Can’t Help Falling in Love” sung by Andrea Bocelli and a whole bunch of
Dolce & Gabbana. Cindy Ord / Getty Images for The Met Museum/Vogue
22. Lily Allen and David Harbour celebrated their 2020 Las Vegas wedding with a meal at In-N-Out Burger.